Dr. George Koutitas
Programme: MSc in ICT Systems
Modules: Green ICT (part)
Dr. George Koutitas was born in Thessaloniki, Greece. He received the B.Sc. degree in Physics from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece in 1998-2002, the M.Sc. degree (with Distinction) in Mobile and Satellite Communications from the University of Surrey, UK in 2002-2003 and the PhD from University of Surrey in 2003-2007.
He worked as a member of the Centre for Communications Systems Research (CCSR) under EPSRC funding, where he focused his research interests in the area of radio channel modelling. His main research interests are in the area of Wireless Communications (modeling and optimization), Energy Efficient Networking and Smart Grids.
George Koutitas is a member of IEEE, IET and holds the ‘Nokia Prize’ and ‘Advisory Board Prize’ 2003 for the best overall performance and best MSc Thesis in University of Surrey, UK.
George Koutitas has teaching experience at the University of Surrey (tutorial courses in ‘Mobile Communications’ and ‘Antennas and Propagation’) and has also served as visiting lecturer at Hellenic Army School (Evelpidon), Dept. of Digital Systems, University of Piraeus and Dept. of Engineering Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Western Macedonia.
George Koutitas participates in EU research projects FP7, ARTEMIS and in National research projects.
He has also published several papers in international journals such as IEEE Transactions, IEEE Letters, IET Electronic Letters and international conference proceedings.
Research activities within International Hellenic University concern the Virtual Laboratories and the Smart IHU project. For more information please visit (http://rad.ihu.edu.gr/)
List of Publications
International Scientific Journals (peer review)
- G. Koutitas and L. Tassiulas, 'Periodic Flexible Demand: Optimization and Phase Management in the Smart Grid', IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, 2013 (in press)
- L. Chiaraviglio, R. Bruschi, A. Cianfrani, O. M. Jaramillo Ortiz, G. Koutitas, 'The TREND Meter: Monitoring the energy consumption of networked devices', Int. Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking (IJBDCN), IGI Global, special issue on 'Green Networking and Computing', 2013 (in press)
- C. Liaskos, G. Koutitas, I.Vlahavas, 'A holistic virtual laboratory on wireless communications and sensor networks', Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies, (in press), 2013.
- G. Koutitas, ‘Control of Flexible Smart Devices in the Smart Grid’, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1333-1343, 2012.
- G. Koutitas, A. Karousos, L. Tassiulas, ‘Deployment Strategies and Energy Efficiency of Cellular Networks’, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no.11, pp. 2252-2563, 2012.
- G. Koutitas, ‘Multiple Human Effects in Body Area Networks’, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp938-941, 2010
- G. Koutitas, ‘Green Network Planning of Single Frequency Networks’, IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 541-550, 2010
- G. Koutitas, ‘Power Aware Indoor Wireless Networks’, IEΤ Electronic Letters, vol. 46, issue. 6, Mar. 2010
- G. Koutitas and Th. Samaras, ‘Exposure Minimization in Indoor Wireless Networks’, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp. 199-202, 2010
- G. Koutitas, P. Demestichas, ‘A Review of Energy Efficiency in Telecommunication Networks’, Journal TELFOR, ISSN: 1821-3251, 2010 (invited paper)
- G. Koutitas and P. Demestichas, ‘Challenges for energy efficiency in local and regional data centers’, Journal Green Engineering, ISSN:1904-4720, River Publisher, Sept. 2010
- G. Koutitas and C. Tzaras “A Slope UTD Solution for a Cascade of Multi-Shaped Canonical Objects”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 2969-2976, Oct. 2006
- G. Koutitas and C. Tzaras “A UTD Solution for Multiple Rounded Surfaces”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1277-1283, Apr. 2006
- G. Koutitas and C. Tzaras “Multiple Cylinder UTD Solution”, IEE Electronic Letters, vol. 41, pp. 515-517, Number 9, April 2005
International Conferences (peer review)
- A. Satsiou, G. Koutitas, L. Tasiulas, 'Reputation based coordination of prosumer communities', in proc. Int. Conf. Internet Science, Brussels, 2013.
- D. Hatzopoulos, I. Koutsopoulos, G. Koutitas, W. Heddeghem, 'Dynamic Virtual Machine Allocation in Cloud Server Facility Systems with Renewable Energy Sources, in Proc. IEEE ICC 2013.
- S. Kokkinogenis and G. Koutitas, 'Dynamic and Static Base Station Management Schemes for Cellular Networks’, IEEE GlobeCom, Anaheim, USA, 2012.
- G. Koutitas and L. Tassiulas, ‘A Delay Based Optimization Scheme for Peal Load Reduction in the Smart Grid’ ACM/IEEE Int. Conference E- Energy, Madrid, May 2012
- L. Charaviglio, D. Ciullio, G. Koutitas, M. Meo, L. Tassiulas, ‘Energy-Efficient Planning and Management of Cellular Networks’, IEEE Wireless on demand Network Systems and Services (WONS) 2012
- C. Liaskos, G. Koutitas, I. Vlahavas, ‘Virtual Laboratories on Wireless Communications: A contemporary, extensible approach’, IEEE EduCon, 2012 (accepted)
- A. Stavropoulos, A. Tsiolia, G.Koutitas, D. Vrakas, I. Vlahavas., ’System Architecture for a Smart University’, Proc. International Conference on Neural Networks ICANN, , Sept. 2010.
- G. Koutitas,’DVB Network Planning for Energy Efficiency’, IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Advanced Communication Technologies ICACT, Feb. 2010
- G. Koutitas, ‘Low Carbon Network Planning’, IEEE Proc. European Wireless, EW, Apr. 2010.
- G. Koutitas, N. Pavlidou, L. Jankovic,’ A Comparative Study of two Alternative Wildfire Models, with applications to WSN Topology Control’, Proc., Int. Conf. on Modeling, Monitoring and Management of Forest Fires, June, 2010.
- G. Koutitas, ‘Lateral Propagation Effects over Irregular Terrain’, IEEE Proc. European Wireless EW, Apr. 2010.
- G. Koutitas, P. Demestichas, ‘Information Communication Technologies and Energy Efficiency: EU Initiatives and Green Telecommunication Networks’, Proc. European Science Mediterranean Event (ESME), Athens 2009
- G. Koutitas, P. Demestichas, ‘A Review of Energy Efficiency in Telecommunication Networks’, Proc. International Telecommunication Forum, TELFOR, 2009.
- G. Koutitas, A. Karousos, T. Brown ‘3D Propagation Modeling from High Elevation Systems to Indoor Environments’, Proc. IEEE Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation, Athens, May 2008.
- A. Karousos, G. Koutitas, C. Tzaras ‘Reflection and Transmission Coefficients in Time Domain of a Dielectric Slab for UWB Signals’, Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference VTC, Singapore, May 2008.
- G. Koutitas, ‘Comparison of Mathematical Techniques for Radio Wave Propagation Modeling’, Proc. Int, Conf. GENE Around The world, Peloponnese, April 2008.
- G. Koutitas and C. Tzaras “Rounded Wedge Diffraction Including the Effect of Curvature Discontinuity”, IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. Antennas and Propagation, June 2007, Hawaii, (USA).
- G. Koutitas, C. Zacharias and C. Tzaras “A Multi-Shaped UTD Solution for Irregular Terrain Propagation Modelling”, IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. Antennas and Propagation, July 2006, Albuquerque, (USA).
- G. Koutitas and C. Tzaras “A New UTD Formulation for Multiple Cylindrical Diffraction”, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Microwave, Antennas, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communication, vol. 1, August 2005, Beijing (China).